Apply for Membership
When becoming a member of the CCT, you can actively influence the way CCT is contributing to our community in Chagford. It is easy to become a member, and by doing so you commit to the CCT values and principles. Please join us by filling in the form at the bottom of this page, and get your share in the CCT by following the steps to apply:
- Please read the values and principles below in the official bit.
- Fill in the form at the bottom of this page.
- You’ll receive a confirmation email.
- Print it and take the form to Sally’s, our local newsagent on the square, and pay £1.
The official bit
The following statements describe key aspects of the Society and its aims, values and principles. Please read these statements carefully. To apply for membership you must be willing to declare your commitment to the Society’s values and principles, and your support for the Society’s aims and objectives.
The Society’s Aims, Values and Principles
Chagford Community Trust Limited is a community land trust formed for the benefit of the local community as defined by Section 79 of the Housing and Regeneration Act 2008.It is incorporated as an Industrial and Provident Society. The Society’s objectives are “to carry on any business for the benefit of the residents of the Parish of Chagford and adjoining parishes by either all or any of the following means”:
- Assisting in the provision of housing for those who are in conditions of need;
- The creation of workspace, buildings, and/or land for use on favourable terms;
- The maintenance, improvement or provision of public amenities;
- The preservation of buildings or sites of historic or architectural importance;
- The provision of recreational facilities for the public at large or those who by reason of their youth, age, infirmity or disablement, poverty or social circumstances, have need of such facilities;
- The protection or conservation of the environment.
Initially, in connection to the proposed development at Bellacouche Meadows, the Society looks to acquire and retain interests in land, property or other assets, and to actively manage such ownership to
- Retain asset value for the benefit of the local community and ensure that the assets are not sold or developed except in a manner which the Society’s members thinks benefits the local community;
- Maximise asset value for the benefit of the local community; and
- Recycle any gains made in dealing with the assets for the benefit of the local community.
Further, the Society looks to influence the planning process with the aim that
- Any affordable housing created meets the identified needs of the local community in quantity, spread of dwelling size and tenure type, and rent/price levels; and
- The occupation of any affordable housing created is prioritised for people with a local connection; and
- Other assets or community benefits required of the developer as part of a grant of planning permission (a Section 106 agreement) yield maximised benefit to the local community and where applicable meet the identified needs of the local community; and
- The development fulfils the relevant aspects of the Chagford Local Plan (the DMD).
The Society’s activities must not be for private profit, nor does it pay or distribute any surpluses or assets to its members. Any surpluses or profits from its activities are used to benefit the local community.
All members of the Society must hold at least one share in the Society. At present the Society is offering exactly one share to each member. Shares have a value of £1 (one pound). The value of shares cannot go up, but may be reduced. Shares attract no dividend and are non-transferable.
The Society is governed by its Rules and Regulations which are available here. A printed copy can be provided upon request, for which an administration charge to cover printing costs may be made.
Join us by filling in the form