About Chagford Community Trust
Chagford Community Trust Limited is a community land trust formed for the benefit of the local community, as defined by Section 79 of the Housing and Regeneration Act 2008, and is incorporated as an Industrial and Mutual Society. The Society’s objectives are to carry on any business for the benefit of the residents of the Parish of Chagford and adjoining parishes by:
- Assisting in the provision of housing for those who are in conditions of need;
- The creation of workspace, buildings, and/or land for use on favourable terms;
- The maintenance, improvement or provision of public amenities;
- The preservation of buildings or sites of historic or architectural importance;
- The provision of recreational facilities for the public at large or those who by reason of their youth, age, infirmity or disablement, poverty or social circumstances, have need of such facilities;
- The protection or conservation of the environment.
The way we work
In the recent past we used public consultation to collect input for both the Bellacouch meadow development and the development of business premises at Bellacouch meadow. The opinions of the people who filled in either the survey or attended the consultation meetings are taken into account in the way we cooperate with the current developer.
To ensure Bellacouch meadow will be an integrated part of our thriving community, we all need to welcome the new residents and make them feel at home in Chagford. Where our community sense is still strong thanks to so many residents and local businesses taking care of one another by investing time in the wide range of community projects.
Involving for example: our youth (The Mess); elderly residents with dementia (Memory Cafe); and our living environment (Flowers for Chagford and The Conservation Group).